D. George Wyse
Research and teaching
- Atrial Fibrillation Management
Dr. Wyse's early (1960-66) training in Pharmacy (BSc) and Pharmacology (MSc) was at the University of British Columbia. He obtained his Ph.D. in Pharmacology from McGill University in 1969 and did two years of postdoctoral research at the University of New Mexico until 1971. He then entered Medical School at the University of Calgary, obtaining his MD in 1974. After 2 years of Internal Medicine in Calgary (1974-76), he trained in Cardiology at Oregon Health Sciences University (1976-78). Dr. Wyse joined the Faculty of the University of Calgary in 1978, became Professor in 1985, and was the Chief of Cardiology from 1986 to 1993. He was Associate Dean (Clinical Affairs) from 1993-99. He has been an Emeritus Professor since 2005. He continued in part-time clinical practice until the end of 2016 and continues to be active in research. Originally a vascular biologist, Dr. Wyse is better known for research in of heart rhythm management, particularly atrial fibrillation. His publications have been cited over 18,000 times.
February 14, 2017
• The CAST Investigators: Preliminary Report: Effect of encainide and flecainide on mortality in a randomized trial of arrhythmia suppression after myocardial infarction. New Eng. J. Med. 321: 406-412, 1989.
• The Antiarrhythmics Versus Implantable Defibrillators (AVID) Investigators: A Comparison of Antiarrhythmic-Drug Therapy with Implantable Defibrillators in Patients Resuscitated from Near-Fatal Ventricular Arrhythmias. N Engl J Med 337:1576-1583, 1997.
• The AFFIRM Investigators: A comparison of rate control and rhythm control in patients with atrial fibrillation. New Engl J Med 347: 1825-1833, 2002.
1. The E.L. Woods Memorial Prize and Medal, 1964
2. Best Research Paper in Pharmacology, Published in Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, Pharmacological Society of Canada, 1977
3. Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation, 1992.
4. Serving Member, The Order of St. John, 2000.
5. Gold Star Teaching Award, Small Group Preceptor, CV Undergraduate Medicine Course, 2000-2001
5. University of Calgary Alumni Association, Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2005
6. Alberta Centennial Medal, September 1, 2005
7. University of Calgary, Top 40 Alumni, Celebrating 40th Anniversary of University of Calgary, 2006.
8. Heart Rhythm Society, Distinguished Scientist Award, 2007.
9. Canadian Cardiovascular Society, Achievement Award, 2008.
10. Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Annual Achievement Award, 2014
12. University of Calgary, Senate, Lecture of a Lifetime Series, 2017
13. Foothills Medical Staff Association, Service Award, 2017