Research Assistant Professor
Research and teaching
- Patient-centered care
- Patient engagement
- Transitions of care
- Quality of care
Dr. Maria Santana is an Assistant Research Professor at the University of Calgary, W21C Research and Innovation Centre, O’Brien Institute of Public Health and the Department of Community Health Sciences. Dr. Santana completed a degree in Pharmacy and a Master in Pharmaceutical Technology at University of La Laguna in Spain. In 2009, she received her PhD in Clinical Epidemiology from the University of Alberta. Dr. Santana is a patient-reported outcome measures methodologist. The adoption of patient-reported outcome measures as standard practice at the University of Alberta Hospital lung transplant clinics is an outcome of her doctoral research. Current research interests include patient-centered care, patient engagement, transitions of care, the practice of Iyengar yoga for chronically ill individuals, and quality of care.
- Santana MJ, Feeny D, Johnson JA, McAlister FA, Kim D, Weinkauf J, Lien DC. Assessing the use of Health-related quality of life measures in the routine Clinical care of lung transplant patients. Qual Life Res. 2010 Apr;19(3):371-9.
- Santana MJ, Feeny D, Weinkauf J, Nador R, Kapasi A, Jackson K, Schafenacker M, Zuk D,
- Lien D. The use of patient-reported outcomes become standard practice in the routine clinical care of lung-heart transplant patients. Patient Relat Outcome Meas. 2010;1:93-105.
- Santana MJ, Feeny D, Ghosh S, Nador RG, Weinkauf J, Jackson K, Schafenacker M, Zuk D, Hubert G, Lien D. The construct validity of the health utilities index mark 3 in assessing health status in lung transplantation. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010;28(8):110
- Santana MJ, Feeny D. Framework to assess the effects of using patient-reported outcome measures in chronic care management. Qual Life Res. 2014 Jun;23(5):1505-13.
- Santana MJ, Haverman L, Absolom K, Feeny D, Grootenhuis MA, Takeuchi E, Velikova G. Training clinicians in how to use patient reported outcome Measures in routine clinical care. Qual Life Res. 2015;24(7):1707-18.
- Kemp KA*, Warren SA, Chan N, McCormack B, Santana MJ, Quan H. Qualitative complaints and their relation to overall hospital rating using an H-CAHPS-derived instrument. BMJ Quality & Safety 2015;25(10):770-7.
- Kemp KA*, McCorMack B, Chan N, Quan H, Santana MJ. Correlation of inpatient experience survey items and domains with overall hospital rating. Journal of Patient Experience. Journal of Patient Experience 2015;2(2):29-36.
- Jolley RJ, Lorenzetti D, Manlili K, Lu M, Quan H, Santana MJ. A protocol for a scoping review study to identify patient-centred quality indicators. Accepted BMJ Open MS-2016-013632.