Cardiology Core Teaching (2013-present)- University of Calgary Medical School
Dr. Nakul Sharma completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Saskatchewan before pursuing Cardiology at the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute.
In 2011 Nakul became the first Cardiac Transplant/VAD Fellow in Alberta. As well, he concomitantly pursued a Masters in Public Health from the University of Alberta.
In addition to clinical research, Dr. Sharma will remain active in Continuing Medical Education programs and participate in both local and national workshops in Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation. His current research interests are in Advance Heart Failure / Mechanical Support and their pivotal role in end stage Heart Failure.
When not working as a cardiologist he enjoys playing competitive basketball. Dr. Sharma has recently taken over as the site lead for cardiology and heart failure clinics at the Rockyview General Hospital.
• Michael Chiu MD, Nakul C Sharma, MD, MPH. Myocarditis and Eosinophilia: Three Cases of Hyper-Eosinophilic Syndrome and Myocarditis. Accepted for CJC Open. Ms. Ref. No.: CJCO-D-19-00001R1
• Chiu MH, Howlett JG, Kuriachan VP, Sharma NC. Can J Cardiol. A Case of Palpitations Due to T-Wave Oversensing Caused by Sacubitril/Valsartan. Can J Cardiol. 2018 Aug;34(8):1089.e1-1089.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2018.03.019. Epub 2018 Apr 5.
• Chiu MH, Sharma NC. A case of hypertensive emergency, primary hypothyroidism and large pericardial effusion with early tamponade Journal of Cardiology Cases 18(1) · April 2018 DOI: 10.1016/j.jccase.2018.03.005
• Andrew Sauer, Robert Cole,Brian C. Jensen, Jay D. Pal, Charles B. Porter, Nakul Sharma , Amin Yehya, Justin Vader. Practical Guidance on the Use of Sacubitril/Valsartan for Heart Failure. Heart Failure Reviews. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10741-018-9757-1
• Derek S Chew, MD, Braden Manns, MD MSc, Robert JH Miller, MD, Nakul Sharma, MD MPH, Derek V Exner, MD MPH. Economic Evaluation of Left Ventricular Assist Devices for Patients with End Stage Heart Failure who are Ineligible for Cardiac Transplantation. CJC. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2017.07.012
• 2013- Alberta HEART's STEADT - HF training program Grant ($25,000)
• 2012 Arthur J.E. Child Foundation Scholarship- Advanced Heart Failure/Imaging Fellowship ($60,000)