Vascular conditions account for a great deal of suffering in the Canadian population. In fact, vascular conditions are the leading cause of death worldwide for both men and women.
Atherosclerosis is a condition where plaque builds up around the arteries, causing them to narrow and harden. It is the most common cause of cardiovascular disease.
- Ninety per cent of Canadians develop at least one atherosclerosis risk factor in their lifetime
- The incidence of diabetes has doubled in the past decade
- Kidney disease impacts one in 10 Canadians
- The majority of patients with diabetes and kidney disease die from vascular atherosclerosis
What are our goals in this area?
The Libin Institute has assembled a world-class team of scientists who are ready to understand the mechanism of disease and advance the delivery of individualized precision therapy for prevention and treatment of vascular disease. The institute has particular strength in kidney disease through the Interdisciplinary Chronic Disease Collaboration (ICDC) and the Alberta Kidney Disease Network (AKDN).
Our aim is to build strength in disease surveillance and monitoring health outcomes and expand our discovery science programs to learn more about what causes vascular conditions at the molecular level, to develop new ways to diagnose conditions and find new therapies.
Supporting our vascular scientists and enhancing research capacity
To DISCOVER molecular mechanisms, we are:
- Studying the role of inflammation and biomarkers
- Studying factors that modify development of vascular dysfunction, aneurysm formation, atherosclerosis and their progression
- Developing models to assess the impact of maternal factors on risk to their offspring
To DISCOVER interventions for prevention, we are:
- Developing novel targets for prevention and treatment
To DETECT premature vascular disease, we are:
- Leveraging our strengths in cardiac imaging, bioreactors, biomarkers and computational modelling to detect those at risk
- Developing a collaborative research group (P2) to enhance surveillance and monitor outcomes
To DELIVER integrated, individualized precision therapies, we will:
- Apply our discoveries to guide therapy tailored for each person
To DEVELOP enhanced patient engagement with shared decision-making tools, we are:
- Studying the efficacy and cost of using real-time data and decision-support tools to more actively engagement patients, their families and caregivers