The Libin Institute's Research Equipment Maintenance Support program was created to allow researchers to continue their existing or proposed research activities, to seek external funding prospects and to advance research programs by supporting the maintenance of necessary equipment.
Requests from individual investigators is considered, but priority is given to requests for a shared resource that aligns with the institute's strategic research priorities. A request for maintenance support for a shared resource would involve a principal investigator and multiple stakeholders.
Requests for maintenance and/or repair(s) will be managed as follows:
- Maintenance and/or repair(s) less than $5,000 will be managed by the Libin Institute’s Research Office, in consultation with the Libin Institute’s Deputy Director and Research Executive Committee.
- Maintenance and/or repair(s) $5,000 or greater will require at least 25 per cent matching funds committed by the PI(s) at the time of application. These requests will require approval by the Libin Institute’s Deputy Director and Research Executive Committee.
Please note that core infrastructure (e.g., cold rooms, ice machines, fume hoods, etc.) that require maintenance and/or repair(s) should be reported to the Libin Institute’s Research Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) separately.
What will the Institute support?
Eligible expenses include:
- Emergency repairs
- Preventative maintenance
- Software or hardware upgrades (if it is integral to equipment operation)
Ineligible expenses include:
- Multi-year service contracts
- New research equipment
- Basic equipment (e.g., pipettes, pH meters, water filtration, computer upgrades)
- Operating costs
- Office and laboratory furniture
- Office and laboratory computers and peripherals (for non-essential laboratory functions)
- Primary investigator and the majority of collaborators must be primary members of the Libin Institute.
- In the event where there is significant involvement with members from other institutes, shared funding may be considered with other institutes.
- It is permissible to submit more than one request per investigator. An investigator can be a user on more than one request.
- There is no maximum amount per request; however, partial funding requests may be offered in some cases. This is at the discretion of the Libin Institute’s Research Office, in consultation with the Libin Institute’s Deputy Director and Research Executive Committee.
- Maintenance and/or requests $5,000 or greater will require at least 25 per cent matching.
- Equipment must be housed within the Libin Institute's space.
- Equipment used for clinical research purposes is eligible.
Applicants should have other funds available to cover operating costs or any other costs associated with the equipment.
Requests for support
A Request for Research Equipment Maintenance Support form, not exceeding two pages, outlining the following:
- Describe the equipment that requires maintenance and/or repair(s) and how the proposed maintenance/repair(s) will continue to enable the research capabilities of the investigator(s).
- Does the equipment in need of maintenance and/or repair(s) facilitate research that is not possible with the present infrastructure?
- Is there similar equipment available in the vicinity?
- Interdisciplinary and strategic focus
- Describe any active collaborative or multi-user arrangements and how the equipment aligns with the Libin Institute's research priorities.
- Describe the usage rate of equipment in need of maintenance and/or repair(s). Is it minor or critical?
- Maintenance support to be purchased
- Include a description of the maintenance and/or repair(s) to be purchased and funds requested. Please specify if the request is for an emergency repair, preventative maintenance, or software or hardware upgrade (if it is integral to equipment operation).
- Indicate the approximate age of the equipment in need of maintenance/repair, and where it is currently located.
- If the request is $5,000 or greater, indicate commitment and source of funds to cover (at least) 25 per cent of the total cost of the requested maintenance and/or repair(s).
A quote with specifications from at least one vendor (email or fax) outlining the details of maintenance and price, dated within 30 days of the request for maintenance support. For maintenance support costing more than $25,000, please provide the appropriate number of quotes based on the University of Calgary’s Supply Chain Management Purchasing Policy (see section on “Bidding Processes”). For equipment that can be purchased from only one supplier, please ensure that a Sole/Single Source Justification Form is complete prior to the purchase process.
Applications for Research Equipment Maintenance Support are accepted annually in November. However, the institute will consider urgent requests. For more information, contact email@example.com.