Vascular disease affects the arteries and veins that can block circulation anywhere in the body. There are a variety of conditions that fall under “vascular disease.” There is a dynamic group of investigators at the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta becoming increasingly integrated around the common theme of vascular disease.
These researchers include:
- Smooth Muscle Research Group (a multidisciplinary group with a common interest in vascular disease),
- the vascular biology/inflammation group
- biomedical engineering
- percutaneous and surgical vascular interventional investigators
What's Libin Doing Now?
- Developing a program to advance our understanding of vascular cell function and identify novel biomarkers for atherosclerosis
- Identifying how mechanical alterations in blood flow change gene expression contribute to atherosclerosis
- Creating a comprehensive aortic dissection program (eg. diagnosis, treatment and followup)